Want to create your travel blog business plan?
Then you’re in the right place, as that’s exactly what we’ll be covering in this episode of The Profitable Travel Blogger Podcast!
Specifically, you’ll learn:
- What “The Blogger’s Journey” looks like step-by-step
- Actions you can take to see growth at each stage of your blogging business
- How to go from blog setup to making money
- Ideas for monetizing as a travel blogger
- And more!
Basically, if you’re interested in mapping out a blogging business plan for yourself, you won’t want to miss this episode!
Create A Travel Blog Business Plan – Podcast Episode Audio
…or click the links below to tune in on your preferred audio platform:
Prefer video? Here you go:
Free Travel Blogger Resource Library
To help you really jumpstart your blogging success and start making money, I’ve added 55+ blogging resources like printables, video tutorials and workbooks into a FREE resource library for travel bloggers.
Invite: How To Make Money As A Travel Blogger [Free Workshop]
While we’re on the topic of blog monetization, I’d love to invite you to my free workshop: 10 Powerful Ways To Make Money Travel Blogging.
During the 60-minute on-demand workshop, you’ll learn:
- Myths related to monetizing a blog (that may be holding you back!)
- Strategies for creating profitable content (so those blog posts, emails & social shares lead to income!)
- Tips for earning recurring passive revenue as a blogger (so your income grows even when you’re away from your laptop!)
- How to create products that you know your audience will buy (so you don’t waste your time!)
- Advice for growing your affiliate income (with a strategy that truly works!)
- And more!
Plus, your free ticket to this actionable workshop also includes a Q&A, limited-time replay, and special bonuses.
Quick Wins To Add To Your Travel Blog Business Plan [Video]
Looking to add some strategies to your blogging business plan that can help you grow your traffic, community, and income faster and easier?
Then check out the video above!
It shares 14 quick-win strategies that can help you see growth in your bogging business sooner rather than later.
Creating A Blogger Business Plan – Episode Transcript
Do you have a travel blog business plan? Is it difficult for you to see the big picture in your blogging business, or to map out a path to get where you want to go? Are you curious about how to start a travel blog and get paid?
If any of these statements resonate with you, then you won’t want to miss this episode of The Profitable Travel Blogger Podcast, as I’ll be breaking down what I like to call The Blogger’s Journey, which is essentially a road map you can follow to create and reach your blogging business goals and grow your blog fast.
I want to direct your attention to the show notes where I’ve shared a link to my free Travel Blogger Resource Library.
Inside you’ll snag access to 35+ resources from cheat sheets to workbooks to video tutorials that can help truly turn your blog into a profitable business.
I’m all about implementation and I really want to make sure you don’t just listen to the episode and forget about it, but that you actually use what I share to make your blogging life easier.
Inside the library, there are a number of printables and tutorials that will help you take what I share in this episode, and efficiently implement it.
Feel free to even pause this episode to go grab those resources.
Then let’s dive in.
Now, keep in mind, everyone’s blog business journey looks different, particularly when you look closely at the details.
Not every blogger creates the same types of content, is active on the same platforms, or monetizes their blog in the same ways; however, what I’m going to share is a general business plan template for bloggers with examples in each section to help give you a serious dose of clarity.
While many business plans are complex and often include things like market highlights and an exit strategy, I’m going to keep things simple.
I’ve broken what I like to call “The Blogger’s Journey” down into five phases. Picture each phase as a layer of a larger structure — let’s use the example of a brick and mortar store — with the next phase building on the previous one.
We’ll start off with…
Phase #1: Building Your Foundation.
This phase of The Blogger’s Journey takes place before you publish any content.
It’s the time spent mapping out your blog brand. If your blog were that brick and mortar, this would be where you set up your store to attract your ideal customers.
Things that take place in this phase include:
- Pinpointing your mission. You can use my favorite template for this. It says: “I help [group of people] do [how you help] so that they can [outcome]” to make your mission clear and concise.
- Defining your target audience
- Deciding on your domain name
- Pinpointing what makes you stand out from others in your niche (hint: you’ll want to understand how to niche down as a blogger)
- Defining the tangible assets of your brand, like the colors and fonts, as well as the intangible assets, like the values
- Mapping out your content strategy and what you’ll write about
- Hint: You might consider breaking your content up into 3-5 buckets or themes to keep content cohesive; for instance, if you have a culinary travel blog your buckets might be restaurant reviews, cultural recipes, and food tours
- Additionally, pinpoint irresistible travel blog post ideas and add them to a blog post planner template
- Tip: Use a tool like Jasper AI, which utilizes artificial intelligence to help you quickly and easily come up with topic ideas, create article outlines, even draft content and write blog articles faster. You can click here for a 10,000-word free trial of Jasper.
- Creating your website — think of this as the actual brick and mortar
Creating mood boards and collections on social media can be a huge help in defining what you’re attracted to and getting inspiration from that!
Choose your platform — such as Pinterest — and search for fonts, color palettes, imagery, designs, adjectives that you’d like people to associate with your blog, visual assets, and more.
Okay, now let’s chat about…
Phase #2: Attraction, Traffic & Visibility.
Once you have your foundation set, it’s time to start bringing people into your store, aka your blog, and getting people to know you and your blog exist.
In this phase, you’ll do things like:
- Learning how to promote your blog
- Understanding how to come up with blog post ideas people truly want to read; pro tip: here are 120+ travel blog post ideas to get you start
- Creating and promoting SEO-optimized blog content — and I’ve got a free Blog Post From Scratch Template here
- Getting active on social media — and not just posting when you feel like it or when you remember, but actually showing up with a strategy, to serve your audience, and to become visible
- Launching a podcast related to your mission — and you can grab a podcast strategy template here
- Writing guest posts
- Getting media attention by pitching yourself to be on podcasts and in magazines
- Attending in-person and virtual networking events
- Getting active in niche Facebook groups where your audience hangs out
- Creating a Pinterest traffic strategy
Again, your goal is basically to scream from the top of a mountain, “Hey world! I’m here and this is what I’m creating for you!”
Moving on to…
Phase #3: Community-Building.
In this phase, you’re turning viewers into return visitors, or one-time shoppers into regulars.
Some of the strategies in the previous phase may overlap with this one, but the intention right now is really growing the relationship and turning your blog audience into raving fans.
A few ideas include:
- Hosting a free challenge
- Hosting a helpful webinar (like my free webinar on how to become a travel blogger and make money)
- Creating a helpful blog series
- Creating a complimentary workshop (like my free travel blogging course)
- Creating opt-in freebies and promoting them to your audience to grow your email list as a blogger — a few opt-in freebie ideas include a free template or printable
- Learning how to create a free resource library to use as an opt-in freebie
- Tweaking your social media strategy to include calls to action that grow your relationship, such as joining your email list
- Creating a Facebook group where you can further nurture your audience
- Crafting an automated welcome sequence to nurture new email subscribers right away
- Pinpointing an email marketing strategy that includes regularly sending valuable content
Really think about what your audience wants from you, how you can help them best have a transformation (including on what platforms), and how you can turn them into people who look forward to blog posts, emails, and social media shares.
Keep in mind that this stage also involves building trust.
This can be attained by doing things like staying true to your word, consistently showing up, getting vulnerable from time to time, and “working in public.”
The latter is a phrase I actually learned from ConvertKit, and I love it. It means taking people behind the scenes in your business and your process so they can really learn the how and why about what you’re creating.
By the way, you can click here for a free 30-day trial of ConvertKit’s incredible email marketing software.
On that note, let’s discuss…
Phase #4: Blog monetization.
Alright, so now people know about you. You have a group of people that looks to you as someone whose content has helped make their life better.
Now, you want to further help them through paid blog offerings, like your own products and services that further help them, or by promoting the services of affiliates that would further help them. Having an affiliate marketing for travel bloggers strategy is a great way to start monetizing.
By the way, I’ve got an entire episode on how to monetize your email list using paid offers — either your own or those of affiliate partners. If you’re wondering how to promote affiliate links, your email list can be a great option.
A few ideas for monetizing your blog include:
- Creating an online course or preselling an online course (I use Teachable for mine; that link gets you a two-week free trial, no credit card required!); if you’re looking for digital product ideas this is my personal favorite!
- Implementing a product launch strategy to increase sales
- Launching a profitable tour
- Writing gift guides to promote affiliate and product sales
- Hosting trips and retreats
- Hosting a virtual summit
- Website flipping
- Selling digital assets like stock photos and printables
- Creating a tripwire sales funnel, which tend to convert really well
- Setting up an online store
- Creating an app
- Writing an ebook or physical book
- Starting a conference
- Hosting live paid events
- Starting a Patreon page with premium content
Of course, you can also monetize through display ads, working with brands, creating content for brands, freelance writing, offering your skills as a virtual assistant, and more.
And finally, we’ll end with…
Phase #5: Growing Your Blog & Scaling.
At this point in The Blogger’s Journey, you’re earning a sustainable income, but you want to grow your blog earnings to the next level. A few strategies to consider:
- Hiring help — because there is only so much you can grow when you’re doing everything
- Seeking out those who have already done what you’re trying to achieve to get their advice, and possibly taking on a mentor
- Evergreen webinars — meaning non-live webinars that run continuously and pitch your product at the end
- Building on your current products with another one; it’s helpful if they’re related so you can create bundled products
- Creating a subscription or membership product that allows for recurring revenue
- Using a platform like GoFundMe or Kickstarter to gain the capital necessary to create your vision
In my opinion, what is extremely important here is to have a vision — a clear picture of where you want to go — and to truly believe in your ability to make it happen.
And by the way, if mindset is holding you back at all I have a podcast episode on improving your mindset and clearing limiting beliefs.
Alright, now I hope you enjoyed this episode.
I hope you feel inspired and empowered to go start implementing strategies that can help you grow and move toward the next phase in your journey.
Don’t forget to grab access to my free resource library for bloggers. There are a ton of social media resources in there.
And of course, make sure to subscribe so you don’t miss future episodes sharing these bite-sized strategies for bloggers who want to turn their blogs into profitable full-time businesses.
Related Past Episode
Click here for all profitable blogging podcast episodes.
Bonus Profitable Blogging Tutorials [Video Playlist]
Want to learn more powerful strategies for taking your blog full time?
Check out this curated playlist of tips and tactics that work:
Be A Guest On The Profitable Travel Blogger Podcast
If you have actionable strategies to share to help bloggers grow their traffic, community, and income, as well as create profitable and healthy online businesses, I’d love to hear from you!
Note that interview episodes will also be livestreamed on YouTube, so guests need to be comfortable on camera and should have access to headphones, a microphone (or headphones with a microphone), a strong internet connection, and nice lighting (such as studio lighting or a room where you can sit in front of a window).
Stay In The Loop
Do you want to get notified when new episodes publish?
Interested in hearing about opportunities to join livestreamed podcast interviews so you can engage, ask questions, and turn your blog into a profitable business more easily?
Then make sure to opt-in for podcast email notifications sent to your inbox!
Subscribe + Review (To Win A Prize!)
Love learning new blogging strategies to help grow your website traffic, community, and income?
Click here to subscribe on iTunes to be notified when new episodes publish.
I’d also be extremely grateful if you’d leave a review right here and let me know your favorite part of the episode or a takeaway you walked away with. By leaving a review, you help the show be seen by more people, helping the episodes to have a greater impact.
Each month, I’ll be choosing one reviewer at random to win a FREE seat inside one of my masterclasses.
Winners can choose from:
- How To Grow Your Blogging Income Through Facebook Ads
- How To Land Paid Press Trips As A Travel Blogger
- How To Make Money (Fast) With Affiliate Marketing
- How To Start A Tour Company In Your Own Backyard
- How To Start A Blog, Grow An Audience & Make Money
- Build Your Blogging Profit Plan Masterclass
Winners will be chosen at random from the reviews and will be notified via email, so make sure to send me — jessie (at) jessieonajourney dot) com — your email address so I have it.
The Profitable Travel Blogger Podcast is free podcast that shares how to make money blogging, ethically and with clarity.
Have a question about one of the strategies explained in the show?
Do you want to share a takeaway with your community?
Please share on Instagram and Twitter using the hashtag #TPTBPodcast.
This not only allows you to interact with the community, but I’ll also be monitoring and adding to the conversation to answer your questions and connect with you, too!
How do you go about enjoying social media sites like Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and a Facebook page?
Enjoyed this post on creating a travel blog business plan? Pin it for later!