Check out this list of why Fall in New York rocks and see specific event dates for 2011.
1. Halloween in New York is something everyone must do before they die! While the parade takes place on the actual date of Halloween (and anyone can be in it if you have a creative costume!) there are tons of Halloween-theme parties going on the Saturday before all over the city (and many include open bar packages!)
2. Watch the Fall foliage, especially if you need a fun, free activity. This is one of my personal favorites as the entire atmosphere of the city seems to change with the leaves. Central Park, Prospect Park, Fort Greene Park, and Alley Pond Park (which has a Tulip Tree trail) are great places to do this. **Tip: Want to take great photos? Sign up for a seminar, class, or free workshop at PhotoManhattan.
3. Who doesn’t love some chocolate as the weather begins to get chilly? The Chocolate Show comes to town! This is the world’s largest chocolate-themed event. Attend culinary demonstrations and chocolate tastings from over 65 different chocolatiers. Purchase tickets in advance to receive $5 off. This year’s event will take place November 10-13 at the Metropolitan Pavilion.
4. While you spent the summer working hard to get into shape, now is the time to relax a bit, which is why it is perfect that New York Spa Week takes place in the Fall. Taking part in this event gives you the ability to sample treatments, such as massages, facials, skin tightening, hair removal, and more, from various spas for only $50. This year’s event will take place from October 10-16.
5. Who doesn’t love a great movie? Come out to the New York Film Festival at Lincoln Center and discover some upcoming filmmakers you may not have heard of, as well as gain a new perspective and understanding of the film world. There are 3 ways to purchase tickets: either online, in person at the Alice Tully Box Office, or by calling CenterCharge at 212-721-6500. This year’s event will take place from September 30-October 16.
6. In the mood to laugh? The New York Comedy Festival is a week long event that features some of your favorite standup comics. This year the comedy festival will take place from November 9-13 and will include some well known faces such as Sarah Silverman, Wanda Sykes, Bill Maher, Louis CK, and Tracy Morgan.
7. While New York is a hub for art and culture, spending too much inside galleries and museums can get a bit stuffy. Head outside into the crisp, Fall weather and enjoy an open air art festival called Art in Odd Places. This event runs along 14th Street between Ave C to the Hudson River and features public art and performances. “Ritual” is the theme of the event this year, which will take place October 1-10.
8. And for those who love to curl up with a good book when the heat starts to fade? The New Yorker Festival will give you the chance to attend discussions by big names in art, entertainment, and business as they converse with writers and discuss topics in the field. HIghlights of the festival include readings, screenings, walking tours, and food tastings. This year, the event will take place from September 30-October 2. Be sure to buy your tickets before they sell out!
9. Why wait until New Years to make a positive change? How about attending an event that benefits the American Diabetes Association known as ADA’s The World’s Largest Block Party. This annual fundraising party will take place on Madison Avenue between East 42 Street and East 57 Street. Shop as myriad vendors set up stands along the streets and enjoy free entertainment and delicious food while learning more about Diabetes. The party will take place this year on November 5.
10. While Lincoln Center is always an important cultural hub of New York City, they offer a particularly moving Fall series known the White Light Festival. The festival is meant to be an exploration of how music can “illuminate our interior lives”, which we spend less quality time with due to our distracted lives. Another perk? Complimentary wine after the event. This year’s event will take place October 20-November 19.
Want to live your best life through travel?
Subscribe for FREE access to my library of fun blogging worksheets and learn how to get paid to travel more!
THE NEW STRATEGY FOR PROFITABLE TRAVEL BLOGGING
Short on time but eager to learn how to REALLY grow your blogging business? This FREE 5-day email course was made for you.